Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Immovable Truth

I recently watched an old black-and-white film based on the WW2 war criminal trials in Germany. Apart from the superb acting of legends like Spencer Tracey and Burt Lancaster, the thing that struck me the most was the presentation of the ever-relevant struggle between what is legal and acceptable, and what is right and moral.
While I hope our planet never has to face another world war, I believe it is a subject that all people have to face within themselves at one stage or another: To act in accordance with what society (or the pressures of that society) says, or to act in accordance with what their conscience says.

As Christians, we have an added obligation to align our conscience with the truth of the Word of God, and stand in absolute conviction on that immovable standard. I know it isn't always easy to separate truth from personal belief, especially when personal beliefs are often motivated by heart issues; but God's laws stand alone in morality as they are based not on human understanding, logic or ethics, but on His very nature which is as unchangeable and immovable as the Creator Himself.
I am so thankful everytime I read  in the Word of His steadfast ways and holy justice, because I know that means that not only am I freed from having to defend myself, but that I am also freed from having to decide on the guilt of others.
There is great comfort to be had in the thought of being a tiny speck in the hand of a good and just God, especially when I come to understand that He is a God who always desires the best for me - that tiny little speck!

We are not alone in our battles, or even responsible for the outcomes. The Lord will always bring about His will in a situation, in His own time & way, regardless of social pressures, laws of the land and human understand. So when God says that He causes all things to work together for good to those who love Him (Rom. 8:28), have confidence that its the Truth.

Love Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment